Sunday, February 28, 2010

Twas the night before...

It is 8:07pm on Sunday, February 28, 2010. Tonight is the final night of the 2010 Winter Olympic games. The entire country is celebrating the victory of our men's hockey team over the Americans. Just over an hour ago the winning goal hit the net to the echoing cries of patriots throughout the nation. Now CTV is replaying the pivotal moments of these past two weeks, highlighting Canada's record-breaking gold performances. My national pride is battling with my sense of practicality and responsibility. Under 'normal' circumstances I would glue myself to the television set, sporting my red and white, cheering on my countrymen with a surge of delight.

These, however, are not 'normal' circumstances. Tomorrow marks the beginning of my five and half month journey. I will be traveling throughout Atlantic Canada educating people in all sorts of communities along the way. As you can imagine it isn't easy preparing to live out of a suitcase for five months. It is especially difficult when those months span from March to August! As always though, I relish the challenge!

And so instead of taking in every detail of the closing celebrations of the Olympics, I am rushing about doing laundry, packing, cleaning, and organizing. Would I have it any other way? Absolutely not. I have been struggling to find the words to express how excited I am to have the opportunity to travel the region, and educate people with information that will essentially save lives. I would never have believed that I would be so fortunate as to have such a meaningful job.

Tomorrow I board the bus and welcome our first visitors at St. Mary's University in Halifax. I think that it is awesome that we are bringing the information to university students. It is never to early too become breast aware! I'm looking forward to sharing our knowledge, and hopefully inspiring SMU students, staff and faculty to become more familiar with their own bodies.

For now my focus returns to my final preparations. I will, however, keep my television tuned into the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment