Sunday, April 11, 2010

Observations from northern New Brunswick

  • Although many communities are predominately French speaking, a surprising number of the people prefer to read in English.
  • Everything can (and is) deep-fried. That is to say, deep-frying is the norm; the standard; the expectation. Anytime I have ordered a salad, or fruit, or anything containing any colour other than brown or beige, I have received a mix of shock and mock from the wait-staff.
  • On that note - there is a Dixie Lee on every corner. I haven't eaten there, but I already can't stand the smell.
  • The people here are incredibly outgoing, friendly, warm, and appreciative. Some of these communities are so far north in the province they are somewhat isolated. The people are SO excited to see us coming - they can't believe that something they have seen on TV has come to their town.
  • Sobeys in Bathurst is incredible. THUMBS up to the staff there for making us feel at home, and for encouraging so many to come out to chat with us. We had an unforgettable day!!!
  • Additionally - Price Chopper in Tracadie-Sheila knocked our socks.
  • It seems to be windy here all of the time. I shouldn't be surprised. I know that the closer you get to the ocean, the more wind you expect. I'll blame my surprise on the fact that I lived in Ontario for 2.5years.
  • Apparently 'Poutine' is a food group here. I have seen everything from 'chicken poutine' to 'deep-fried-clam-poutine' to 'scallop poutine' - AND everything in between.

More observations to follow. Right now I am tired, and feeling like I'm coming down with a bit of a cold. Looking forward to having a day off on Tuesday!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment